Mykonos by Numbers
How many organized beaches are in Mykonos? When the city on the island of Delos was built? Which is the average temperature during summer months? How far away is Mykonos from Athens? Read all the answers in De.light Boutique Hotel’s special insider’s article Mykonos by Numbers!
- The island of Mykonos size is 85.5 square kilometres.
- The highest point is just 341 metres.
- Mykonos has approximately 10.000 habitants. Most of them live in the Chora, the main town of the island.
- The archaeological findings suggest that Mykonos was inhabited since the Neolithic Age (approx. 3000 BC), but the first people arrived on the island in 11th century BC.
- The island of Mykonos is just 2 km (1.2 miles) away from Mykonos.
- British and French ships participated in a Naval Battle happened in 1794 near the main port of Mykonos.
- Mykonos is situated 150 kilometres (93 miles) east of Athens and the flight lasts 25 minutes.
- You might feel as hot as 40 °C (104 °F) during the summer months in Mykonos, but thanks to the sea breezes the average temperatures are around 28 °C (82 °F).
- In 1945, a wounded pelican found shelter in Mykonos and became its mascot up to nowadays. His name was Petros and, today, his ancestors took his place.
- Unfortunately, we cannot count the number of the Mykonos Windmills but we can be sure of that they were built between the 16th and the 20th century.
- As for the famous waterfront neighbourhood of Little Venice, it was built on the 18th century as captain houses.
- The famous Greek heroine of the Greek War for Independence, Manto Maurogenous, was born in Mykonos on 1796. The main square of the Mykonos Chora is named after her.
- There are approximately 25 organized beaches in Mykonos.
- In 1990, UNESCO declared the island of Delos a World Heritage Monument.
- The famous church of Panagia Paraportiani was built over 200 years ago (from the 15th to the 17th century).
- The British movie Shirley Valentine was shot at the beach of Agios Ioannis, in front of the De.light Boutique Hotel, in 1989.
Hope you enjoyed our special Mykonos by Numbers hints. To find out more about the complete Mykonos experience just click on www.delightmykonos.com.